1) Love Dance Love will be both revealed and resolved by the Fort Wayne Ballet at 10:00 pm on Valentine's night at the Arts United Artslab. The event is rated PG, as the ballet group will present works in modern, classical, and avant grade dance. This would be a great family event for middle school or high school children who show love for the art of ballet, as a QA will follow after the performance.
2) WinterFest at the Planetarium Dessert Cruise through our Solar System and beyond with WinterFest 2014, opening Valentine's evening at 8:00 pm, at the Edwin Clark Schouweiler Memorial Planetarium on the University of Saint Francis campus. With limited seating this is a couples only event with an evening showing of The Planets, narrated by Kate Mulgrew, Captain Janeway of the Star Trek: Voyager series. This visually stunning tour of our solar system features video from NASA and the European Space Agency (ESA).
3) DeBrands Fine Chocolates Famous for their fine treats,DeBrands Fine Chocolatesis ready to cater to all of your desires. With Valentine's Day gift sets and customizable boxes of chocolates the company ensures that there is something unique for even the pickiest taste buds. Ever wonder how those amazing chocolates are made? DeBrand offers tours for just $5 a person. That tour includes not only a tour of the factory but guests also receive a voucher towards a purchase after the tour, along with a small sample.
4) One Billion Rising Promoting equal and fair treatment towards women, One Billion Rising aims to raise awareness of abuse and violence towards women. Join Fort Wayne's One Billion Rising group this Friday at Parkview Field from 5-6 pm as they take part in this international movement and dance to rise up for justice. You, along with millions of people at events like this around the world, will come together and dance to help further the movement to eliminate violence against women and girls.
5) Red Love Letters Looking to be inspired this Valentine's Day? Head over to Artworks the Galleria of Fine Art located in Jefferson Pointe from 6-9 pm for the opening reception of their newest exhibition Red Love Letters.The body of work features heartfelt works of art …some playful, some pensive, some sweet, some sensual … all abounding with a spectrum of red befitting of the occasion! Featured Artists include Beth Forst, Santa Brink, Karen Moriarty, Nazar Harran, David Buenrostro, Chas Davis, Vicki Junk Wright, and Penny French Deal, all can be perused while enjoying French fare by Biaggi's. The exhibition runs from February 14 – April 6, 2014.
6) Plumtickled Junction Trying to break away from the stereotypical romantic Valentine's day activities? Plumtickled Junction is the perfect afternoon activity (open 10 - 5 pm). Built in 1882, Plumtickled Junction located in Dunfee, IN is unique with its country store charm and antique store. Located within the Junction is Pickles Cafe, serving paninis, wraps, homemade soups, and desserts. "Mouthwatering homemade wholesome goodness" has been the general consensus of anyone who's eaten there. Treat your mouths and your kissers to a salivating supper, serving the age old maxim: the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Want to get an inside look at Plumtickled Junction for yourself? View our photo gallery from our visit there last summer.
7) An Intimate Painting Affair Celebrate a belated Valentine's Day this Saturday at 4:00 pm at the Dash-In with An Intimate Painting Affair. Enjoy intimate painting lessons taught by the creative Ms. Kasey. The session includes instructional portraiture painting for both you and your loved one. Single and feeling ready to mingle? This event caters to couples and singles. There will also be light appetizers, door prizes and a variety of give-a-ways during the evening lesson. Prop your painting against your chair and stay for dinner and music, the Dash-In is open till 1 am Friday and Saturday.
8) Valentines Blues Funk R&B Soul with Quincy and the Q-tet Spend a relaxing evening down by the river at Curly's Village Inn this Valentine's night at 9:00 pm as they host Valentines Blues Funk R&B Soul with Quincy and the Q-tet. Be it you enjoy the smooth tone of bluesy guitar or simply want to dance the night away to the beat of a soulful sax, get your groove on this Friday night. Best of all there is no cover charge for the event!
9) The Gardens of the Botanical Conservatory Tired of being snowed in those winter doldrums? Don't bother buying a bouquet of flowers when you can take a walk through the refreshing Tropical Garden in Fort Wayne's own Botanical Conservatory. Your ticket to this heavenly oasis, only $5. Whether you're strolling with your loved one, gazing into each other's eyes and taking in all the lush greenery, or letting your children scavenge through the vegetation, the warmth and flowers will surely flush your hearts with that forgotten thill of summer. Be sure to snap a photo by the cascading waterfall before closing (5 pm), and you'll surely remember this Valentine garden visit for years to come.
10) Sweetheart Skate Session Sweep your sweetie off her feet and whoosh away on an icy cloud of romantic cliché's. Lutheran Health SportsCenter (also known as Canlan) is holding a Valentine's Day public skating special, two for the price of one. Friday, February 14th, 7-10 pm, hold hands and circle the rink like lovers in movies always seem to do. Who knew Fort Wayne had such a sweet rink?
Choose any, and/or all of these activities and you're sure to have a splendid holiday with your special someone. Happy Valentine's Day Fort Wayne.
XO - Das Fort
Photo by Tony Frantz